Our History

1950s

1950s

In 1953 Wayne Pollard, concerned about the future of his daughter Carolyn—whose only option was institutionalization—brings together a group of parents with children with disabilities to start the first chartered educational and training program in Lake County. The Lake County Educational Society for Retarded Children is established.

1960s

Federal legislation is passed mandating public education through age 21 for people with disabilities. NorthPointe services expand and a pre-school for children with disabilities opens. In 1965, the organization moves from Zion to Waukegan and the name is changed to “Lake County Society for the Retarded.”

1970s

In 1975, NorthPointe opens a second location in Zion in the (old) Zion Roller Rink. Services now include young adults, and sheltered workshop services continue to grow in response to the work/training needs. To consolidate programs, we move to the (old) Warwick building in Zion with double the amount of space.

1980s

NorthPointe introduces a progressive model of multi-vocational programs. A 72,000-square-foot building is purchased in 1984 to answer growing needs and is named The Killian Center to honor major donor Bob Killian. Community integrated and supported residential services begin, with four residents seeking living arrangements.

history2_300x2401990s

The residential program grows to support 75 men and women. The Employment Resources program is established to help individuals find community employment. The Psycho-Social Rehabilitation program (SOARR) is initiated to assist persons with mental illness reintegrate successfully into the community.

IDD-CILAmalewashingmachine2_300x2402000s

We officially change our name to “NorthPointe Resources, Inc.” A person-centered planning model is embraced. Services continue to expand to include a senior program, home-based as well as high school transition services, art therapy, and a community-living transition program for SOARR members.